29 January 2014

JANUARY HIT AND MISS BEAUTY PRODUCTS

I've done quite some damages to my credit card this month and all my online shopping activities have been beauty related. The products in this post are not everything I've tried but products that I've formed an opinion. 

The Hit Products

I have my first impression of this product here. It has been my everyday serum this summer when I want something light weight and oil free. It sinks to the skin and leaves the skin feel fresh, which is a big plus as I find some serums, although are also oil free, can have a sticky texture and feeling on the skin. It provides adequate moisture to the skin in the summer heat and also has a soothing effect when applying thanks to its scent.  In the past a few weeks it has helped brighten my skin tone and calm down the redness on my cheeks. 

I always reach for this product when I find my skin feeling a bit dehydrated and lacking the desirable glow. It's more nourishing than the ANTIPODES serum but it does not feel oily either on the skin despite of being an "oil" product. It's absorbed by the skin quickly and it gives an immediate healthy glow to my skin once applied. I always find my skin feel more elastic the next morning whenever I use this oil the night before. 

I've been raving about this product. Full review is here

It's a hit product among bloggers and Youtubers. I do not seem to remember seeing any negative reviews yet about MAYBELLINE Colour Tattoo and there are reasons for that. It's so easy to use, very blendable using just fingertips and has a decent staying power on my eyes. Oh and it's so affordable that I picked up two shades without blinking an eye. Bad to Bronze is my go-to colour and Inked in Pink has a purplish pink tone, which I absolutely adore. I also like to wear the two colours together: Inked in Pink on my eyelid while Bad to the Bronze on the crease and the outer corner of my eye. It takes literally five minutes but it looks like I blend my eyeshadows like a pro. 

It has a matte yet creamy texture. It's a buidable product so you do not have to worry about having a harsh line even if you are heavy handed. I use it as contour and love how subtle it's on the skin. 

The Miss Products

On David Jones website, it describes this product as: 

"theBalm's oil-free Carrot Eye Makeup Remover gently washes away all types of makeup, without leaving unwanted residue.

- Infused with carrot extract
- Gently cleans and moisturises
- Free from parabens, synthetic dye and phthalate
- Not tested on animals
- Suitable for all skin types
"

Sounds lovely right? I also think if a brand makes good eye makeup products it shall also know how to remove them gently and effectively. But it turns out this eye makeup remover struggles to remove waterproof mascara, which is disappointing but does not necessarily stop me from using it. What makes me have to give up using this product is it's not gentle at all for my eyelids and it irritates my skin to the point that it's simply too painful to use it. 

I've only used this product twice since I got it. I thought I could use it in the morning shower whenever I woke up feeling a bit oily. I expected it to help better remove the excess oil on my face compared to a very gentle non-foaming cleanser (I have not found MONU Cleansing Balm back then) so that I could feel more refreshed. Although after using this product my skin does feel free of oil, the smooth feel on my skin seems to be fake as if it's not being deeply cleansed but covered with chemicals. The second time I used it my cheeks went quite red, which made me more concerned of the ingredients in the product. I do not think I'll try to use this cleanser again and I might either pass it to my husband or use it as a body mask where I have less sensitive skin. 

What are your favourite products of the month? Have you had any disappointing experience with a product? 

2 comments :

  1. Great post! I really want to try the Body Shop Honey Bronzer as I've heard it's great for pale skin..! x

    Rachael | www.overdosedemaquillage.com ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know people with very fair skin wear the lighter shade and they really like this bronzer too:) xx

      Delete